Thursday, October 28, 2010

We Made It (Long Post)

So we made it to Germany after a loooong trip.  We flew out of the O' Hare International Airport at 10:05pm (Central Time) and had between an 8-9 hour trip over the ocean to Copenhagen, Denmark.  We had a 7 hour layover so we had a lot of time in the airport.  Then we flew to Stuttgart and got there about 10pm (Stuttgart time).  We spent the next few days in hotels as we tried to find an apartment.  We signed a lease for an apartment on Friday, October 9.  The apartment is in Weiler Zum Stein, a city that is not too far from Waiblingen which is where Eddy has his internship.
Here are some pictures (mostly of our apartment):











It is a little bit bigger than we wanted, but I guess that is better than being to small.  There are not a lot of renters that are looking for people only renting for a short time, so we were limited in our choice.  Eddy has been working while I have been able to go around and look at the different shops that are close as well as some of the city of Waiblingen.  Here are some pictures that Eddy and I have taken of Waiblingen.
 This is a picture of the old city wall.  Eddy and I thought it was interesting that they built houses right into the wall.

 Eddy by part of the old city wall.
 Me by part of the old city wall.
 Drinking water we found as part of the old city wall.

 Eddy is enjoying the drinking water.
 Part of the top of the wall.  If you notice that the buildings on the right and the one on the left both use wooden beams as part of the house.  Well if you look closer you will notice that the building on the left fills in those gaps with individual bricks mortared together while the building on the right has a solid stone in between the boards.  It just amazes me at how old some of the houses and buildings are and that they are still standing.
 Part of the old city wall.
This picture is part of the old castle basement.  The actual castle is no longer standing but as you can see here are some of the walls to the old castle.  Also, I believe that they actually use part of the old castle basement as a restaurant, but I am not entirely sure about that.  Though they do use the castle basement for something.

3 comments:

  1. Cool pictures! That's so great that you are having quite an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! This looks so exciting! I am so jealous-- you're going to have such amazing memories and adventures to look back on. Keep posting beautiful pictures and sharing your explorations!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. too cool! I am happy you found a place! Enjoy your adventure!!
    michele

    ReplyDelete